Have you ever wondered: how can I make vegan salmon from tofu?, how can I make tofu taste like salmon?, or can I make tofu taste like fish? Yes, you can, if you use the same seasonings you would use on your fish.
This soya mayo “salmon” is an incredibly easy and satisfying way to prepare tofu!
This reminds me of my childhood favourite dish. Coated with umami flavour and pan fried to perfection (whatever your definition of “perfect” is :) ) this vegan “salmon” tofu is sure a hit in my household!
It only take 15 minutes to throw this all together with only 5 (yes, five!) ingredients. Give it a try!
I used to love soya mayo salmon when I was in high school.
I even declared to my mom that when I went to university I would eat soya mayo salmon every single day!
Oh, I was naive back then (weren’t we all, and aren’t we all still!?). I haven’t had salmon in over a decade, and sometimes I miss my old favourite dish!
While it is very difficult to replicate salmon, this soya mayo tofu satisfies my craving!
The key to this dish is the mixture of mayonnaise and soya sauce. The fattiness and tang from the mayo and the salt from the soya sauce combine together to make this tofu dish have a lovely savoury, umami taste.
The nori is a bonus, and adds a nice fishy flavour.
You could omit it if you want.
If you want to be really aesthetic, you could wrap the marinaded tofu in nori rather than shredding it as I did.
I’m a bit lazy and like cooking quickly :)
Make it gluten free!
If soya sauce isn’t for you, feel free to use tamari. Coconut aminos would work too to make this gluten free.
- 2-3 servings
- 5 minutes
- 10 minutes
- 1/2 package firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons of vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 nori sheet
- 1 tbsp cooking oil (I use canola oil)
- Cut the tofu into pieces that are about 3/4 of an inch thick (cubes, squares, or whatever you like!).
- Shred the nori into small pieces. You can do this with your hands or you can cut it with a knife.
- Make the sauce: mix together mayonnaise, soya sauce, and nori.
- Coat each piece of tofu with the sauce, making sure to coat both sides.
- Place a tablespoon of oil in a pan or wok.
- Fry the coated tofu, for about 5 minutes on each side. The marinade and tofu should lose some water, and look a bit crispy.
- Plate, and enjoy!
More delicious recipes
This is one of the many fantastic recipes available on this blog