This restaurant style sweet and sour sauce is truly the easiest sauce to make. You might not believe how easy it is! :)
This sauce is perfect on top of stir fried veggies, vegan chicken, or just as a sauce over rice!
This one of the sauces I grew up eating, whether it was out at a Chinese restaurant or at my Gung Gung and Po Po’s house. In fact, this is the recipe that my Po Po (my maternal grandma) uses!
The use of ketchup in this recipe might seem strange, but trust me on this!
If the sauce is too watery, try adding more corn starch or letting it boil for longer (or both!). Eventually it’ll become the consistency you like.
- 500 mL (2 cups)
- 15 minutes
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 8 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 tbsp corn starch (optional)
- Mix together the ketchup, sugar, lemon juice, and salt.
- Add the hot water, and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Add corn starch and whisk to combine, or stir vigorously to combine.
- Pour into a sauce pan (overtop of veggies, vegan chicken, or whatever you plan to eat it with!) and boil for 10 minutes until it’s reached the desired thickness.
More delicious recipes
This is one of the many fantastic recipes available on this blog