Oh my gosh, I can’t stop eating these”- my Mom.
These cream egg Nanaimo bars are a fun Easter twist on the classic no-bake dessert.
Vegan cream egg and Nanaimo bar all in one - you read that right!
Wanna know more about Nanaimo bars?
If so, check out my recipe for my Nanaimo Crunch Bars where I share my take on the classic no-bake dessert (with detailed instructions!) and where I share the history of it as well!
Nanaimo bars seem complicated to make, but they are EASY! There are really only 4 simple steps to making delicious Nanaimo bars:
- 1. Make the base.
- 2. Make the cream layer.
- 3. Make the chocolate layer.
- 4. Assemble the bars.
No special technique or special kitchen tools required!
I go into more detail about substitutions and all that in my Nanaimo Crunch Bar post - definitely check if out if you’re looking for detailed step by step instructions!
What’s with the cream egg filling?
The only thing that makes this recipe different from my Nanaimo Crunch Bars is that I use a vegan cream egg filling.
The cream egg is incredibly easy. All you do is blend up the corn syrup, vegan butter, vanilla, salt icing sugar, and creamer. That’s it! The base and top layer, as well as the assembly, is all the same as the original recipe.
Easily veganize any recipe with Foodshake! With Foodshake you can enjoy the vegan version of the recipes you know and love!
- 16 servings
- 30 minutes
- 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (I use canola)
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 1/2 cup saltine crackers, crumbled (about 30 crackers)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1 tbsp vegan cream (I use Silk’s soy creamer)
- Optional: yellow food colouring
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
First, make the base
- Crumble the soda crackers into a medium bowl. The larger the crumbs, the crunchier the Nanaimo bar!
- In the top of a double boiler, combine a 1/2 cup of vegan butter, white sugar, and cocoa powder. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Remove the butter mixture from heat and add in the flax seed and oil. Mix well.
- Mix in the crumbled saltine crackers and shredded coconut.
- Press into the bottom of a loaf pan if you enjoy thick bars, or an 8x8 pan if you thinner bars.
- Put in the freezer to chill, while you make the cream layer.
Next, make the cream layer
- Mix together the corn syrup, vegan butter, vanilla, and salt until smooth, either by hand or with a hand mixer.
- Mix in the icing sugar bit by bit, until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- (Optional) add a few drops of yellow food colouring to make the mixture look more egg-like.
Finally, we make the chocolate layer
- Melt together the chocolate chips and vegan butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for about 45 seconds at a time, stirring in between. Microwave until the mixture is soft and silky. This should take about 2 minutes.
Assemble the bars
- Once the base and cream layer have chilled and set, spread the melted chocolate over the bars.
- Let the bars chill once again in the fridge or freezer. This should take about 15 minutes.
- Cut into the bars, and enjoy!
More delicious recipes
This is one of the many fantastic recipes available on this blog